The St. Patrick's Day Parade in New York City will not go on as planned amid concerns over the spread of coronavirus, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced late Wednesday night.
Cuomo had pushed event organizers to postpone the parade, he said in an interview with his brother Chris Cuomo on CNN. Asked how it was taken, the governor acknowledged it didn't go well.
Still, Cuomo had, earlier in the day, indicated he was supportive of postponing the parade.
Hours later, the event's organizers insisted the parade was still on. By Wednesday night, the parade was off.
"While I know the parade organizers did not make this decision lightly, public health experts agree that one of the most effective ways to contain the spread of the virus is to limit large gatherings and close contacts, and I applaud the parade's leadership for working cooperatively with us," Cuomo said in a statement. "While the risk to New Yorkers remains low and we want to avoid social and economic disruptions, we have an obligation to take action to contain the spread of this virus."
The move makes New York City the latest large city to postpone St. Patrick's Day festivities. Previously, cities like Chicago and Dublin canceled their parades.
For now, parades in upstate cities like Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse will continue to hold their parades this coming weekend.