Mayor Eric Adams announced Thursday he will seek reelection as an independent, foregoing the Democratic primary after his federal corruption case was permanently dismissed.
In a campaign video first obtained by Politico, Adams said his legal troubles had prevented him from mounting a primary campaign.
“But I’m not a quitter,” he said.
“Though I am still a Democrat, I am announcing that I will forego the Democratic primary for mayor and appeal directly to all New Yorkers as an independent candidate in the general election,” he added.
The announcement comes a day after a Manhattan judge dismissed the federal corruption case against Adams with prejudice, meaning charges cannot be refiled. The Justice Department had moved to drop the case in February, telling the judge it could help with President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.
Speaking Wednesday at Gracie Mansion, Adams maintained his innocence, saying, “This case should have never been brought. And I did nothing wrong.”
His attorney, Alex Spiro, called the case “a waste of resources” and said Adams had been “vindicated.”
Despite the dismissal, Adams acknowledged in his campaign video that the case may have damaged public trust.
“I know that the accusations leveled against me may have shaken your confidence in me, and that you may rightly have questions about my conduct,” he said. “And let me be clear, although the charges against me were false, I trusted people I should not have, and I regret that.”
Adams was elected in 2021 as a centrist Democrat, but his decision to run as an independent now positions him as an alternative to both the crowded Democratic field, which includes former Gov. Andrew Cuomo, and the only Republican contender, Curtis Sliwa. Jim Walden is the only other independent in the race.
In the video, Adams framed his candidacy as being above partisan politics.
“There isn’t a liberal or conservative way to fix New York, but there is a right way and a wrong way,” he said. “And true leaders don’t just know the right path — they have the guts to take it.”
While Adams will no longer participate in the June 24 Democratic primary, he will face the winner in the November general election and said he hopes he can win by appealing to everyday New Yorkers.
“Ultimately, it’ll be up to you who runs this city for the next four years,” he said. “I hope I can earn your vote.”