New York education officials on Friday suspended state tests for elementary and intermediate-level students as schools remain suspended across the state for at least the coming weeks.
The tests that are being suspended are:
- Grades 3-8 English Language Arts Test
- Grades 3-8 Mathematics Test
- Grade 4 Elementary-Level Science Test
- Grade 8 Intermediate-Level Science Test
- New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test in Grades K-12
- New York State Alternate Assessment for students with severe cognitive disabilities in Grades 3-8 and high school
All schools in New York have closed, with many not scheduled to re-open for the next month. Federal education assessments have also been suspended, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos announced on Friday.
"The priority for the Board of Regents and the Department is to ensure that districts provide continuity of instruction for students to the greatest extent possible," Board of Regents Chancellor Betty Rosa said in a statement. "It is a critical component of school emergency management, as it promotes the continuation of teaching and learning and prevents learning loss while schools are closed. However, many considerations play a role in developing continuity of learning programs such as access and availability, type and quality of materials and the length of time that the various types of learning will require.
"We are working with districts now to receive and review their plans."