A Cornell student who sued the Trump administration over two executive orders he thought could lead to his deportation said Monday that he had decided to leave the United States.

Momodou Taal, a dual-citizen of the United Kingdom and Gambia who has spoken out at pro-Palestinian protests, made the announcement on the social media platform "X."

He said his decision came, in part, due to a federal judge denying his motion to pause the enforcement of executive orders President Donald Trump says will curb antisemitism on college campuses.

He said he hoped his case would help others who participated in pro-Palestinian protests and are in similar situations, but he had lost faith in that effort. 

“Given what we have seen across the United States, I have lost faith that a favourable ruling from the courts would guarantee my personal safety and ability to express my beliefs," Taal wrote. "I have lost faith I could walk the streets without being abducted. Weighing up these options, I took the decision to leave on my own terms.”

Government lawyers argued last week at a motion hearing that the president's orders are lawful and clear.

Taal's lawyers argued the government violated his First Amendment rights when they took his student visa for participating in demonstrations.

The judge who denied Taal's motions said his lawyers did not meet the high burden to stop the enforcement of the president's orders, and that the revocation of his student visa was a matter for immigration courts.